While winter seems like it’s already been here for way too long, its impact on our heating bill is just starting. Keeping energy costs low during the coldest months of the year can be tough, but that doesn’t mean you can’t take steps to help lower those costs. That’s why we’ve developed a few furnace tips to help keep soaring heating bills at bay.
To begin reducing your heating bills and enhancing your energy efficiency this winter, consider:
- Keeping your blinds open during the warmest parts of the day to let sunlight in, helping warm your home naturally.
- Sealing leaks around your home’s windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Purchasing a programmable thermostat so that you can better control the temperature in your home, which will also increase energy efficiency.
- Cleaning or replacing your furnace filter regularly.
- Making sure your home’s heating vents are open and aren’t blocked by any obstructions
- Replacing your old furnace with a newer, more efficient model if you’ve had your current furnace for more than 15 years.
- Putting insulation in your attic to keep the heat trapped inside.
- Checking your roof to ensure your shingles are intact, and that there are no holes or areas that need to be sealed.
Working to keep your energy bills down and energy efficiency up, is a year-round practice, one that can seem overwhelming at times. However, that doesn’t mean that you can’t take a few small steps to make sure you’re keeping your bills as low as possible. If you have any questions related to the tips above or questions about how you can reduce your heating bills, give us a buzz at 713-469-3357. Our experts are here to help make sure your home is comfortable all year long, even with the crazy Houston weather.