On average, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, if you have pets, and how often your air filter has been changed, to name a few—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you tell for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some revealing signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns caked with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a blockage within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers carrying out dust?
- When you check inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
- Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s most likely time to ask Marcos AC & Heating in Houston about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and extend the timeline between professional cleanings.
First and foremost, arrange regular HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Marcos AC & Heating. A maintenance check of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and potential replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system operating well, and will help keep your ducts clean.
You can also converse with the team at Marcos AC & Heating about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Frequently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Checking your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short period in service, but they may not demand changing.
- Sealing drips in air ducts that permit dust to come in from areas like your attic.
- Exchanging poor or damaged air-duct insulation.
With a professional air duct cleaning and some preemptive measures, you can help keep the air in your Houston home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Marcos AC & Heating a call at 713-469-3357.