Whether you appreciate winter or favor the warmer months in Houston, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a large impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to bring monthly costs down.
- Check weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to pinpoint any drafts that should be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be useful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at the end of the day, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter routinely to see if it needs to be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can set temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an acceptable amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Call for routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring professionals to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if left unchecked.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Marcos AC & Heating can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide more tips on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Marcos AC & Heating in Houston a call to begin. You can reach us at 713-469-3357 or schedule an appointment with us online.