You’re in the middle of the coldest week of winter and you wake up trembling in a pile of blankets in bed. Your first thought is, “Why in the world has my furnace not kicked on?” Of course, you don’t want to find yourself in a scenario like this where it feels like you’re doomed to suffer until morning to set up furnace repair, but there are a couple things you can check, as well as a few things you can do, to stay ahead of the game and have a plan for a predicament like this.
Before You Experience Problems:
- Furnace service. Cold nights and furnace repair can’t always be avoided, but having annual furnace service completed can help you avert a chilly predicament.
- Pull together supplies. Find some room in a closet, drawer or another easily accessible area for blankets, a space heater, gloves, hats and any number of other accessories to keep you warm while your furnace isn’t working. It might seem annoying or unnecessary now, but it will be nice when you need it most.
After You Suspect Your Furnace Quit Operating:
- Check the circuit breaker. There’s a chance that the breaker to your furnace could have been tripped by a power surge or for some other reason. If this happens, flip the breaker back on and you could be set. If the breaker is turned off and you have flipped it back on but your furnace still isn’t running, give us a call to arrange an appointment for furnace repair.
- Layer up and get cozy. That handful of supplies we recommended above will come in handy here. Layers can help you preserve body heat so you can stay cozy while waiting for your pro. Also, try to find an activity to do to keep your blood pumping, as increased activity can help keep you warm.
- Stay safe. Using something other than your furnace to heat your home can pose possible danger depending on the method you’re using. It’s important to remember to never choose heating methods developed for outdoor use – i.e. kerosene heaters, grills, or any other carbon monoxide producing methods. If you need to use a secondary method, electric space heaters, fireplaces or wood stoves are your best bets.
No one wants to have an encounter with furnace repair in the middle of winter after their furnace has stopped working, but the opportunity is real if you don’t take the correct steps. Give the pros at Marcos AC & Heating a call at 713-469-3357 if you have any questions about these tips, the furnace repair services offered or any other number of heating questions.